Thursday 7 November 2013

The final 5

My Final 5


Below i have put my final chose images for the street photography project, and i am going to explain why i chose each one and how they are good together collectively in my opinion.



This image was taken at a market and is the second to last shoot i did out of the 7 i have done. It is also from my favourite shoot of the project. I feel the shoot that this image came from was more outgoing than my previous shoots because i wasn't as reserved whilst taking photo's i had gotten more comfortable in myself so i wasn't too aware of people staring or commenting. I was just getting the job done. 

The market was taking place next to the shopping mall in Hartlepool. The majority of people there were older people which was ideal for me, as the older people in the population tend to be who i was targeting in this project. There were a lot of interesting characters at the market young and old but i feel i have captured the best of what was there to shoot. 

The reason i chose this image in particular to be one of the final five is because i like one the old man bending over slightly to look at the goods on the table but also because of the use of lines. In the foreground you can see a tall pole that is partially covering the mans face. Then if you look in the background, again you can see a similar pole almost in a parallel position. Then as the top of the image you can see railings with vertical lines also. Another thing i did like after looking at the photo more is how the tables are right to the edge of the photo and it looks almost like a tunnel or pathway through the market, it draws your eyes into the centre of the photo and i really liked how that looked.



 This image is from the same role of film as the previous image. The main thing i can really say i liked about this photo is the amount of character the guy has. To the modern day society what he is wearing is quite strange, you don't really see those kind of hats and the trench coat and trousers anymore, I do remember that on this day it was really sunny and to see someone so wrapped up was quite unusual, his appearance would make me think that he was going somewhere rainy or maybe fishing.
Another thing visually i like in this image, something that i think is visually appealing to the eye is the lines on the building in the background of the image. all of the angles are similar and it also fits with the angle of the market stall you can see at the bottom left of the image. 
I am quite fond of images that give the viewer a lot to think about. Something that gives the image a lot of mystery always entices the viewer and this is something i will always want to try and achieve in my work i just think it gives the viewer a hell of a lot more to think about.

I chose this to go with the first image as one of my final 5 because one it has an older person in it and i have noticed this is a theme running right through my shoots and two because i have also noticed that neither subjects from either image are looking at the camera or are aware there photo is being taken. 



 This is also similar to first image and is from the same shoot. You will notice that almost all of my chosen images are from the same shoot. 
I do prefer this one a lot more because of how central the man bending down is in the picture, as he was my main focus.
The fact the guy is in the centre of the image is one reason why your eyes are instantly drawn to him but another i feel is that everyone else around him is stood up and he isn't making him the odd one out in the photo and also everyone else is either looking to the camera, at him or out of frame apart from the main guy. 

 This is the only image out of the five that did not come from the same role of film. This shot was actually in one of the first couple of films i shot. I saw an old sat alone on a bench and luckily i managed to capture this moment right before anyone walked past her or sat next to her. 
This is by far my most successful print. It is clear and the lighting is perfect and the lines in the image look really good. 

The fact there is an old lady in the image combined with the saying on the poster makes an interesting link. To me associating post card sayings with the older generations just fits. There is a saying on the poster that says 'wish you were here'  that combined with the old lady being alone does make for a sad image but i think for me to capture those two things together and almost making a story out of the image i think is a great achievement and it makes me look at things a lot differently, it makes me want to open my eyes more and capture these interesting links in photos. 


The final image i chose is for my final 5 is above. This image again is from the same shoot as the first three images. At the market there was a greasy looking burger van and there was two old ladies sat outside of it in a chair and a wheel chair. They were busy nattering away so i decided to take a quick photo and i didn't think too much about it until i looked at the developed negative and saw it properly. I havent got much of a main reason to chose this photo other than i like how the two ladies are just doing something really normal and every day and i love how you notice the ladies more so and then you see the guy in the burger van off to the right i like photo's where you keep noticing more and more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment