Friday 10 January 2014

David Bailey

David Bailey


David Bailey is one of my all time favorite photographers. 
He is someone i have used for examples and sometimes just for inspiration in my work through the last 4 years of school. 

I love his portrait work. The portraits are maily black and white and the majority have light backgrounds either being light gray or bright white, although some do have darker backgrounds.
The subjects in the images are only shown in really limited amounts of colors, mainly being just black and white but sometimes there are slight gray tones. 
I like how his work has limited colors and sharp high contrast colors its almost iconic and makes the work memorable for that reason. 
I honestly believe i would be able to point out David Baileys work out of a sea of others because of how unique it looks to me. 

I have chosen three examples of David Bailey's work to talk about.:

As well as showing the high contrast images i was talking about i wanted to throw in an example of an image by david that has lots of different tones and isn't that high in contrast. 
This image to me looks like a typical portrait photo. 
The stance of the man being on a slight angle, the almost blank expression and the neutral coloured background. Of course not all portrait have to follow this format but this is what i would say a school portrait photo is like and this image really reminds me of that. 


I wanted to include this because this is an image i have actually used in part of my coursework at the start of my A Level studies. I used it as a transcription so i actually had to try and recreate this image which did prove harder than i initially thought.
This is a perfect example of a high contrast piece from david The bright white background teamed with the harsh deep black colour.


This is a beautiful image. As well as the high contrast in this image making skin her effortlessly mix with the background, which in return makes her features such as her mouth, eyes and hair stand out massively, there is the added feature of using what i am assuming is a fan to blow her hair out. 
All of these features together make this a really beautiful image in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment